Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. has an honor that cannot be dismissed or overlooked. Founded on January 15, 1908 at Howard University in Washington, D.C., it became the FIRST National Sorority for Black Women. Because of this founding, Black women proved to mankind their ability to serve and their willingness to give unselfishly to others.
November 2, 1946 marked a historical event for Albany, Georgia when eleven (11) insightful women gathered to charter The FIRST BLACK Greek Organization in Albany, namely Delta Eta Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. The eleven visionary charter members were: Rose Bernard, Christine Brogdon, Martha Brown, Thelma O. French, Allie B. Horne, Beulah Jones, Ruth Kimbrough, Rose McGlockton, Virginia Paulk, Johnnie M. Reynolds, and Olive Rogers
The members of Delta Eta Omega Chapter opened a Sick Baby Clinic at the Dougherty County Health Center in 1948. This was the only clinic in the City of Albany to care for Negro children.
In 1949, Gamma Sigma Chapter at Albany State College (University) was chartered under the supervision of Delta Eta Omega Chapter as the first sorority on the campus.
Delta Eta Omega Chapter sponsored its first “Fashionetta” in 1951 by presenting a renowned play, “Guest In The House”. In 1955, the chapter participated in the first Annual “AKA Gift Shop” by donating Christmas gifts to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Tuskegee, Alabama. A year later, a new project to bring cheer to those of the “Home for the Aged” was started in 1956 in Albany by the chapter and continues to exist.
Due to the lack of recreation activities for Black teenagers in Albany in 1957, Delta Eta Omega Chapter was the first organization to sponsor the City Recreation Club. In 1963, the Y-Teen Club was organized as national affiliate of the YWCA, and later renamed the AcTeens.
Delta Eta Omega Chapter hosted the South Atlantic Regional Conference in 1962, where the first Regional Undergraduate Luncheon was initiated. The chapter hosted the South Atlantic Regional Conference again in 1982 and co-hosted the conference in 1986 in Tallahassee, Florida.
Delta Eta Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was incorporated by Max Cleland, Secretary of State (State of Georgia), on September 22, 1989.
In 1998, the Partners In Math and Science (PIMS) group, sponsored by Delta Eta Omega Chapter, Inc., received First Place Award at the Chicago Boule’. Delta Eta Omega Chapter, Inc. received First Place in the region for its Ivy Reading Akademy at the South Atlantic Regional Conference in 2004.
Delta Eta Omega Chapter, Inc. has had one member to serve as a National Officer, Mrs. Helen Mayes, Supreme Parliamentarian; one member who served as Executive Director, Mrs. Alison Harris Alexander, and two members who served as Cluster Coordinators, Mrs. Mary Crawford-James and Mrs. Christine Blaylock.
The chapter has grown to over 100 members with a wide range of ages and years of service given to Alpha Kappa Alpha. Members include eighteen(18) Golden Girls (50 years or more service); Thirty-seven (37) active Silver Stars (25 years or more); and Forty-seven(47+) members who range in years of service from one (1) year to twenty-four (24) years.